The calculation of the Average Weighted Price can be explained by using this calculation for an example item:
- The current Average Weighted Post (AWP ) is $5.00 and there are 10 units in stock.
- A further 10 units are purchased for $5.50.
To calculate the AWP:
- The total cost of the original stock on hand, 10 units at $5.00 each = $50.00
- Add the additional 10 units purchased at $5.50 each = $55.00
- Divide the total cost of all units ($105.00) by the total number of units (20) = AWP ( $5.25)
If there is no Stock on hand, the new AWP will be cost of the next transaction in (purchase).